Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Choice - Whampoa SMC

Today 14 July 2015, marks my last day as a member of NSP. Early in the morning, I sent a text to the party's President to bid him farewell and to wish him and the party well. He responded cordially with his good wishes.


Since stepping down as Secretary-General of NSP, I have been invited by other political parties to join them. Unfortunately, I had to politely decline each of their kind offer. At the breaking-of-fast dinner held at the Islamic Restaurant this evening, attended by representatives of the various alternative parties, I was interviewed by the media and press, and they were interested to know my plans.


I have already made up my mind to go independent and informed the reporters of my intention to contest in Whampoa, one of the places where I have been regularly visiting to do volunteer work in the past years. To some my friends in politics, both the idea of going independent and disclosing my choice of ward to contest in the next election so soon were against conventional political wisdom. But, why should that always be the case? If they earnestly wish to improve the electoral system, they must be ready to challenge conventional wisdom and think out of the box. 
 

I was asked if I was concerned about three-corner fights. This seems to be a common worry for potential candidates and the voters. Again, my thoughts are quite different. I feel that voters are entitled to make their choices and to decide who to vote for without interference. With closed-door negotiations to avoid multi-corner fights, the voters' choices become limited to only those who are allowed to contest by private treaty. That seems to run against the very idea of an open democratic system.


In any event, for a maturing democracy, voters should not be afraid of making choices. If the voters' objective is not to dilute the votes for the alternative party candidates by them agreeing not to engage in three-corner fights, the voters themselves will unwittingly stifle the development of a truly multi-party political system. The voters need to find the courage to face the ballot box just as much as the candidates themselves.


Ultimately, it will be the voters who will decide the outcomes in every election. May the voters not only have the courage to choose but also the wisdom to know how.

2 comments:

  1. Wish you all the best, people like branding and as a brandless individual you could have up hill task ahead of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you all the best and good blessing :)

    ReplyDelete